Driver License Testing Information
Driver License Testing Information for the Diplomatic and Consular Corps in the New York Regional Area
Written Tests for the Department of State Driver’s License
Applicants for a U.S. Department of State Driver’s License who are required to take the written test must do so at the State of New York’s Herald Square District Office. Address and instructions:
NY Herald Square District Office
1293 Broadway, 8th Floor
(Between 33rd and 34th streets)
New York, New York 10001
1) Written tests are administered for the diplomatic community each Wednesday morning at 9:30 a.m. Persons wishing to take the test must be prompt; no one will be allowed in once it has begun. A vision test will be administered with the written test. The fee for the test is $10.
2) Bring your diplomatic identification (either Department of State I.D. or passport) and all papers pertaining to your Department of State driver license application. Only persons whose applications have already been reviewed and approved by the Office of Foreign Missions will be allowed to take the test.
3) On Wednesday mornings applicants should proceed directly to the Office of Administration and present their papers for processing. Be advised - children are not allowed in the D.M.V. testing room.
4) Persons wishing to take the test other than Wednesday mornings may bring their OFM-approved applications to the Herald Square office any time Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. On occasion, due to excessive demand, the test room may be closed early, starting at 12 noon. Applicants are therefore urged to come as early in the day as possible.
5) Road tests will be scheduled by the Herald Square office as needed.
DIRECTIONS (from Midtown Manhattan East Side)
By Subway: Take the F train from 53rd Street and 3rd Avenue to the 34th Street and 6th Avenue stop. Exit the subway and proceed west to 1293 Broadway.
By Bus: Take the M15 southbound (it travels on 2nd Avenue through the midtown area) to 34th Street. Take the M34 crosstown to Broadway, exit, and proceed to 1293 Broadway.
By Car: Take 2nd Avenue south to 34th Street and turn right. Continue west on 34th Street until you arrive at Broadway. Note that parking in this area can be extremely difficult and/or expensive.
New York State Driver Licenses
Some G-1 and A-2 series visa holders are not eligible for a State Department license. If resident in New York, these persons must first obtain letters from OFM confirming their eligibility for a NYS license, then use the Herald Square District Office to obtain their New York license. Address and directions above.
For additional New York State DMV information, visit: www.nysdmv.com
New Jersey State Driver Licenses
Those G-1 and A-2 series visa holders not eligible for a State Department license and resident in New Jersey must first obtain authorization letters from OFM, then proceed to one of the Regional Service Centers to apply for a New Jersey license. The centers are located at:Eatontown RSC
Route 36 (E of Rte 35)
West Deptford RSC
Rte 44 & MidAtlantic Pkwy
(Exit 20 from I-295)
W Deptford NJ
1578 Rte 23
120 S. Stockton St.