Open Government Initiative
Transparency * Participation * Collaboration
“The Government continually depends upon the support of Congress and the People, and that support can be expected only in the condition of keeping them thoroughly and truthfully informed of the manner in which the powers derived from them are executed.”— Former Secretary of State William Henry Seward, March 2, 1864
The Open Government Directive and the Progress Report to the American People lay out how the United States is breaking down long-standing barriers between the Federal government and the people it serves. The Directive instructs agencies to take immediate, specific steps to open their doors and data to the American people.
The Memorandum on Transparency and Open Government ushers in a new era of open and accountable government meant to bridge the gap between the American people and their government.
The State Department's Public Engagement Activity
Prior to the publication of the 2016 Open Government Plan, the State Department published a draft of the Plan and conducted an online discussion between federal employees and the public on the initiatives proposed for inclusion in the 2016 Plan. The goal of this dialogue was to engage with the public on the topics of transparency, participation, and collaboration and to define how these objectives are represented in the Department’s Plan.
Using the online GovUp platform hosted by TechChange, participants in the online discussion were able to review the State Department’s proposed Open Government initiatives, make comments, and share ideas prior to the publication of 2016 Plan.
- CIO Governance Board Membership List (.json format)
- The Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2006
- The Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2009
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Family Database
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Regional Database
- Nonimmigrant Visa Issuances by Visa Category and by Nationality for Fiscal Years 1997 – 2009
- Nonimmigrant Visas by Individual Class of Admission FY1987 – 2009
- Digest of United States Practice in International Law:
- Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, Section 655, Annual Military Assistance Reports, FY08
- U.S. Passport Issuance Data
- Foreign Assistance Dashboard
- FY2009 U.S. Government-Sponsored International Exchanges and Training Regional Statistical Reports:
- Foreign Affairs Manual Vol 1 (1 FAM)
- Foreign Affairs Manual Vol 1 (1 FAM) - 1 FAM 100
- Foreign Affairs Manual Vol 1 (1 FAM) - 1 FAM 200
- Foreign Affairs Manual Vol 1 (1 FAM) - 1 FAM 300
- Foreign Affairs Manual Vol 1 (1 FAM) - 1 FAM 400
- Foreign Affairs Manual Vol 1 (1 FAM) - 1 FAM 500
Records and Reports
- Budget, Performance & Plans
- Congressional Testimony
- Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM) and Handbook (FAH)
- Freedom of Information (FOIA) and Systems of Records Notices (SORNs)
- Reports to Congress and Other Major Publications
- Regulatory Review