AG/RES. 2360 (XXXVIII-O/08) Disarmament and Nonproliferation Education
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
Having seen the Annual Report of the Permanent Council to the General Assembly (AG/doc.4820/08), in particular the section on the Committee on Hemispheric Security (CSH);
RECALLING resolutions AG/RES. 2007 (XXXIV-O/04), AG/RES. 2109 (XXXV-O/05), and AG/RES. 2260 (XXXVII-O/07), “Disarmament and Nonproliferation Education”;
BEARING IN MIND the determination of the international community to promote and adopt specific measures to foster a culture of peace and nonviolence in all countries of the world and the significant contribution that disarmament and nonproliferation education can make in adopting such measures;
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT resolution 57/60, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 30, 2002, which welcomed the United Nations Study on Disarmament and Non-proliferation Education, prepared by the United Nations Secretary-General with the assistance of governmental experts; and taking note of the recommendations contained therein;
RECALLING that some of the recommendations of that study are directed at regional organizations, and that the Organization of American States (OAS) can make a significant contribution to the implementation of these recommendations by promoting disarmament and nonproliferation education activities in the Hemisphere;
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT resolution 61/73, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 6, 2006, which expressed appreciation to Member States, the United Nations, and other international and regional organizations, civil society, and nongovernmental organizations, which, within their purview, had implemented the recommendations made in the study, and encouraged them once again to continue applying them and to report to the Secretary-General on steps taken to that end; and
TAKING NOTE of the results of the special meeting of the CSH on the topic “Disarmament and nonproliferation education,” held on November 15, 2007,
1. To reiterate to member states the invitation contained in resolution AG/RES. 2260 (XXXVII-O/07) to give consideration to the recommendations contained in the aforementioned United Nations study, in order to strengthen education and training for disarmament and nonproliferation.
2. To instruct the Permanent Council to continue to identify, through the Committee on Hemispheric Security (CSH), relevant actions that could be implemented by the Organization of American States (OAS) to promote disarmament and nonproliferation education in the Hemisphere.
3. For the purpose set out in the preceding paragraph, to request the Permanent Council to hold a meeting during the first quarter of 2010, in the framework of the CSH, in which the member states and special guests may identify proposals for action by the OAS to promote disarmament and nonproliferation education.
4. To request the Secretary General to forward this resolution to the United Nations Secretary-General.
5. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-ninth and fortieth regular sessions on the implementation of this resolution, the execution of which shall be subject to the availability of financial resources in the program-budget of the Organization and other resources.