The U.S. Department of State and USAID FY2018 Budget
The U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) help bolster our national security, secure our borders, and advance our economic interests across the globe. The combined budget request of $37.6 billion for Fiscal Year 2018 reflects the President’s commitment to a leaner, more efficient government, and ensures that every tax dollar spent is aligned with the Administration’s foreign policy objectives.
The budget request supports the President’s “America First” vision with a commitment to four key national priorities:
Defending U.S. National Security
- Supports the strategy to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and other terrorist organizations, including efforts to destroy ISIS strongholds at its core in Iraq and Syria; degrade the branches and affiliates that have taken hold in multiple regions; address instability in key partner nations that these organizations seek to exploit; and ensure these entities do not establish footholds that undermine United States’ interests.
- Supports security sector assistance in our efforts to address shared security threats with partner nations, in close coordination with the Department of Defense.
- Invests in a comprehensive effort to shut down transnational criminal organizations and illicit pathways to American borders, reducing the flow of illegal migration and illicit goods that threaten the United States’ safety and security.
- Protects Americans by ensuring operational and personnel safety at our facilities abroad and strengthening cybersecurity.
Asserting U.S. Leadership and Influence
- Upholds the United States’ commitments to key partners and allies, including NATO, and fosters strategic partnerships to advance shared interests.
- Maintains the United States’ leadership in shaping global humanitarian and development priorities while encouraging our allies and partners to increase their share.
- Improves global health; prevents the spread of infectious disease; fulfills the United States’ commitment to Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance; and funds the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, including the commitment to the Global Fund to Fight HIV, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
Fostering Opportunities for U.S. Economic Interests
- Supports policies that promote fair and balanced trade relationships and that improve supply chains, energy trade and security, private sector markets and productivity, and private sector partnerships.
- Ensures a level playing field for American workers and businesses by fighting corruption, promoting rule of law, transparency, and accountability, and strengthening market-oriented and governance institutions to enable positive economic reforms.
- Supports the Consular and Border Security Program, which facilitates legitimate travel to and from the United States.
Ensuring Effectiveness and Accountability to the U.S. Taxpayer
- Maximizes the use of public funds by streamlining State Department and USAID administrative costs.
- Enhances our overall security posture by enabling construction of new secure facilities abroad.
- Provides flexibility for some foreign military financing in the form of either grants or loans to reduce costs to American taxpayers, while potentially allowing recipients to purchase more American-made weaponry with assistance from the United States government, but on a repayable basis.