The Center of Excellence in Foreign Affairs Resilience (CEFAR) provides resilience training, education, and support for U.S. government foreign affairs agencies. Resilience is the capacity to adapt successfully to risk and adversity, and the ability to bounce back and move forward from setbacks, high stress crisis and trauma.
Our mission is to strengthen the well-being and performance of the Department of State and the wider foreign affairs workforce with time-tested, science-based solutions that foster personal, team and community resilience.
Our vision is a thriving workforce culture that embraces research-based resilience practices to reduce stress, enhance productivity, increase well-being, and drive organizational change.
As experienced resilience practitioners and leaders in the foreign affairs community, we scour the latest science and research to craft resilience programs, customize training and target consultations to empower individuals and teams. Through our engagements, we promote human-centered leadership and an organizational culture that prioritizes well-being and resilience to achieve
Our diverse team of foreign service and civil service practitioners combine decades of expertise with a deep knowledge of science-based resilience strategies to meet the demands of diplomacy in a volatile and uncertain world.
- Encouraging Resilience in your Foreign Affairs Child (MQ500) | Course Details | Email
- Building Your Resilience in the Foreign Service (MQ502) | Course Details | Email
- Resilience Leadership (MQ503) | Course Details | Email
- Resilience Preparation for High Stress Assignments (MQ940) | Course Details | Email
- High Stress Assignment Outbrief (MQ950) | Course Details | Email
- Video recordings of Resilience Boosting Webinars
- Check for other upcoming webinars
Resilience Boosting Webinars
View recorded webinars on the FSI Internet website.
In a series of webinars, CEFAR discussed ways to strengthen personal, team and organizational resilience. Topics covered resilience concepts, strategies and tools to help manage stress and uncertainty, brain fitness, family and personal resilience, resilience through transition, resilience leadership, resilience for couples, fostering resilience in children, available resources, self-compassion, lessons learned from the pandemic, trust and team resilience, and resilience in the next normal.
Articles of Interest
- Reach Out to Build Resilience (State Magazine);
- FSI Helps Department Employees Adapt, Grow and Thrive (State Magazine); and
- More resilience resources, including articles written by resilience trainers.