FSI training status update: FSI will be in contact with students enrolled in upcoming training to provide specific details. Please visit this link to view courses that are being offered virtually.
The Center of Excellence in Foreign Affairs Resilience (CEFAR) provides resilience training, education, and support for U.S. Government foreign affairs agencies. Resilience is the ability to adapt and manage change effectively, be creative in the midst of change, and foster individual, family, community, and workplace team resilience in healthy productive ways.
CEFAR aspires to create a foreign affairs culture where resilience is modeled by senior leaders, mid-level managers, and all members of the workforce, regardless of hiring mechanism. Diplomacy in the 21st century demands effective, creative, and innovative foreign policy solutions. America needs an engaged, flexible, and durable work force to safeguard our national interests. Resilience, the ability to adapt in the face of adversity, is the key. Within the next ten years, a supportive inspired and nimble work force will formulate and implement more creative and effective diplomatic solutions.
Through resilience training, the foreign affairs community can learn more about building personal residence, resilience leadership, pre-deployment preparation for high stress assignments, and encouraging resilience in their children.
- Encouraging Resilience in your Foreign Affairs Child (MQ500) – Email
- Building Your Resilience in the Foreign Service (MQ502) – Email
- Resilience Leadership (MQ503) – Email
- Resilience Preparation for High Stress Assignments (MQ940) – Email
- High Stress Assignment Outbrief (MQ950) – Course Details
- Video recordings of Resilience Boosting Webinars
- Check for other upcoming webinars
Fall 2021 Resilience Boosting Webinar Series – Thriving Together
Join CEFAR and exciting guests from inside and outside the foreign affairs community to discuss timely resilience topics to strengthen personal, team and organizational resilience. Each one-hour webinar features dynamic interactions between presenters and participants that will challenge and inspire you to become a resilience champion.
- Team Resilience in the Arena – October 5 and 6
- Storytelling for Team Resilience – October 19 and 20
- Recognizing and Managing Burnout – November 2 and 3
- The Power of Meaning for Resilience – November 16 and 17
For more information, email CEFAR.
Resilience Boosting Webinars (Series I, II, III)
View recorded webinars on the FSI Internet website.
In a series of webinars, topics covered resilience concepts, strategies, and tools to help manage stress and uncertainty, brain fitness, family and personal resilience, resilience through transition, resilience leadership, resilience for couples, fostering resilience in children, available resources, self-compassion, lessons learned from the pandemic, trust and team resilience, and team resilience in the next normal. The webinars featured experts from the many Department of State offices that support workforce resilience.
Resilience Webinar Series for Singles
The four-week Living Single in the Foreign Affairs Community series examined the unique challenges singles face in the foreign affairs community. The webinars introduced resilient mindsets for singles, outlined foreign affairs realities and lessons learned, shared Department resources for singles, and explored opportunities for the Department to engage with single employees. Not tailored solely for the traditionally single employees, the series also included single parents, those who are geographically single, and managers and supervisors.
Articles of interest
- Reach Out to Build Resilience (State Magazine);
- FSI Helps Department Employees Adapt, Grow and Thrive (State Magazine); and
- More resilience resources, including articles written by resilience trainers.