Certain Iranian Assets (Islamic Republic of Iran v. United States of America)
On June 14, 2016, Iran filed an Application against the United States at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), asserting that the United States has taken measures against Iran and Iranian companies that amount to violations of the 1955 Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations, and Consular Relations between Iran and the United States. Iran’s claims focus on litigation in U.S. courts brought by victims of terrorism. Iran contends, among other things, that the United States has failed in those cases to accord Iran and Iranian state-owned companies, and their property, sovereign immunity, and failed to recognize the juridical separateness of Iranian state-owned companies. In particular, Iran points to the actions of the U.S. judiciary, the Executive Branch, and Congress in connection with the enforcement proceeding in Peterson et al. v. Islamic Republic of Iran et al., case no. 10-CV-4518 (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York) – which resulted in the turnover to plaintiffs holding judgments against Iran of nearly $2 billion in funds in which Iran’s central bank (Bank Markazi) had an interest – as the primary example of the United States’ alleged violations of the Treaty.
The State Department’s Office of the Legal Adviser has the lead role in representing the United States in the case before the ICJ, and is working with the Department of Justice and others to vigorously defend the case. This site contains selected documents relevant to the case, and will be updated as developments warrant.
Case Documents (also available at http://www.icj-cij.org/en)
- Iran’s Application Instituting Proceedings of June 14, 2016
- Press Release of June 15, 2016
- Order of July 1, 2016
- Press Release July 14, 2016
- Order of May 2, 2017
- Press Release of May 11, 2017
- Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations, and Consular Rights between the United States of America and Iran, Aug. 15, 1955
- Materials from the U.S. District Court Proceedings in Peterson (Docket No. 10-CV-4518)
- Materials from the U.S. Court of Appeals Proceedings in Peterson (Docket No. 13-2952)
- Materials from the U.S. Supreme Court Proceedings in Peterson (Docket No. 14-770)