Travel to Chile, Paraguay, Peru, and Colombia, April 11-15, 2019
Secretary Pompeo traveled to Chile, Paraguay, Peru, and Cucuta, Colombia, April 11-15 to deepen U.S. partnerships in the Western Hemisphere. The Secretary’s visit celebrated and reinforced shared commitments to democracy and human rights, highlighted increased opportunities for prosperity and security for our citizens, and rallied support for democracy in Venezuela.
In Santiago on April 12, the Secretary met with President Pinera and Foreign Minister Ampuero to highlight Chile’s regional leadership, our strong economic ties, bilateral partnerships in science and technology, and security cooperation, including on cyber issues.
In Asuncion on April 13, Secretary Pompeo met with President Abdo Benitez and Foreign Minister Castiglioni to reinforce our strong partnership to combat transnational crime and corruption, strengthen economic ties, and support Venezuelan democracy.
In Lima on April 13, the Secretary met with President Vizcarra and Foreign Minister Popolizio to discuss Peru’s support for Venezuelan refugees, the country’s ongoing leadership role in the Lima Group, and our cooperation regarding transnational crime, economic growth, and other bilateral issues.
Secretary Pompeo also made a brief stop in Cucuta, Colombia, on April 14 to visit entities supporting Venezuelan refugees and assess the challenges due to the closed border.
- April 15, 2019 Secretary Pompeo Visit to Cucuta, Colombia, April 14, 2019
- April 14, 2019 Interview With Jorge Gil of EFE
- April 14, 2019 Interview With Sandra Ramirez of El Tiempo
- April 14, 2019 Interview With Christina Ruffini of CBS
- April 14, 2019 Remarks With Colombian President Ivan Duque
- April 14, 2019 Interview With Gisella Lopez of El Comercio
- April 13, 2019 Remarks With Peruvian Foreign Minister Nestor Popolizio
- April 12, 2019 Interview With Andrea Aristegui of Mega TV
- April 12, 2019 Interview With Jake Tapper of CNN
- April 12, 2019 Interview With Matilde Burgos of CNN Chile
- April 12, 2019 Seizing the Opportunity for Freedom in the Americas
- April 12, 2019 Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and Chilean Foreign Minister Roberto Ampuero at a Press Availability
- April 12, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Remarks at the Casa Piedra: “Seizing the Opportunity for Freedom in the Americas”
- April 12, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting With President Piñera of Chile
- April 11, 2019 Remarks to the Press
- April 9, 2019 Briefing on Secretary Pompeo’s Upcoming Trip to Santiago, Chile; Asuncion, Paraguay; Lima, Peru; and Cucuta, Colombia
- April 9, 2019 Secretary Pompeo Travels to Chile, Paraguay, and Peru To Strengthen Cooperation and Shared Prosperity in the Western Hemisphere, April 11-14, 2019