Secretary Pompeo’s Travel to Kentucky, United Kingdom, Portugal, and Morocco, December 1-5, 2019
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo travels to Louisville, Kentucky; London, United Kingdom; Lisbon, Portugal; and Rabat, Morocco, December 1-5.
- Secretary Pompeo traveled to Louisville, Kentucky, December 1-2, where he delivered a speech on “Diplomatic Realism, Restraint, and Respect in Latin America” at the University of Louisville as part of the McConnell Center’s Distinguished Speaker Series. He also met with university officials and current McConnell scholars.
- On December 3-4, Secretary Pompeo joined the U.S. delegation led by President Trump to London to attend the NATO Leaders Meeting. The U.S. contingent highlighted the 70th anniversary of NATO; the progress of the United States and other Allies in improving burden sharing and promoting Transatlantic security and defense cooperation; as well as the work ahead to adapt the Alliance to address emerging security challenges. He also met with British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on the importance of developing secure 5G networks, working together on the challenges posed by Iran, and plans for a robust U.S.-U.K. Free Trade Agreement post-Brexit.
- Following the NATO Leaders Summit, Secretary Pompeo traveled to Lisbon, Portugal, December 4-5, where he met with Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa and Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva. The leaders reaffirmed the robust U.S.-Portugal relationship and discussed U.S.-Portuguese cooperation across a wide range of interests. While in Lisbon, the Secretary also met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- On December 5, the Secretary traveled to Rabat, Morocco, to meet with a range of government officials to review our countries’ strong economic and security partnership. Secretary Pompeo also discussed areas for future U.S.-Moroccan cooperation within the framework of the U.S.-Morocco Strategic Dialogue.
- December 5, 2019 Background Briefing With Senior State Department Officials
- December 5, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita
- December 5, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Moroccan Director General of National Security Abdellatif Hammouchi
- December 5, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Moroccan Head of Government Saadedine El Othmani
- December 5, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Visit to Morocco: Enhancing Economic and Security Cooperation
- December 5, 2019 Secretary Michael R. Pompeo And Portuguese Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva At a Press Availability
- December 5, 2019 Secretary Michael R. Pompeo’s Meeting with Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa
- December 4, 2019 Secretary Michael R. Pompeo And Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Before Their Meeting
- December 4, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
- December 4, 2019 Secretary Pompeo Travels to Portugal to Discuss Transatlantic Partnership with Key Ally