Travel to Panama, April 19-20, 2022
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken traveled to Panama April 19-20 to co-host a Ministerial Conference on Migration and Protection with the Government of Panama. Following the commitments expressed at the Regional Migration Ministerial in Colombia in October 2021, Secretary Blinken and representatives of regional governments participating in the Ministerial discussed collaboration on safe, orderly, and humane migration throughout our hemisphere. Bringing together leaders from twenty Western Hemisphere nations, this Ministerial represented an important step forward in developing a migration management and protection framework for the Americas.
Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas joined Secretary Blinken in Panama. The United States was also represented by State Department Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs Brian A. Nichols and Assistant Secretary for Population, Refugees, and Migration Julieta Noyes, DHS Assistant Secretary for International Affairs Serena Hoy, DHS Assistant Secretary for Border and Immigration Policy Blas Nunez Neto, USAID Assistant Administrator for the Bureau of Latin America and the Caribbean Marcela Escobari, and Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Transborder Security Catherine Tobin.
While in Panama, Secretary Blinken met with President Laurentino Cortizo Cohen, Foreign Minister Erika Mouynes, multilateral development banks, international financial institutions, international organizations, and NGOs to discuss economic recovery; migration; protection for refugees, asylum seekers, and vulnerable migrants; anti-corruption efforts; and support for civil society, in addition to other regional and bilateral issues of importance to the United States and Panama. The Secretary also toured the Panama Canal to review this vital component of regional and international trade and hosted a roundtable discussion with regional civil society leaders focused on transparency and anti-corruption efforts, a growing challenge for democracy and economic stability in the hemisphere.
Through this visit, the Secretary drew further attention and excitement in the region towards the Ninth Summit of the Americas in Los Angeles, California on June 6-10, 2022, where Western Hemisphere leaders will expand on efforts to address our hemisphere’s most pressing issues with the aim of building a sustainable, resilient, and equitable future.
- April 20, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, Panamanian Foreign Minister Erika Mouynes, and Panamanian Public Security Minister Juan Manuel Pino Forero at a Joint Press Availability
- April 20, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken with Panamanian President Laurentino Cortizo Cohen and Panamanian Foreign Minister Erika Mouynes at the Ministerial Conference on Migration and Protection Session on Stabilization of Communities and Post-COVID Recovery
- April 19, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas Opening Remarks at the Ministerial Conference on Migration and Protection Reception
- April 19, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Transparency International Panama Chapter Executive Director Olga de Obaldía Opening Remarks at Meeting with Anticorruption and Transparency Advocates
- April 19, 2022 The United States and Panama Advance Migration Cooperation
- April 19, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken at a Meet and Greet for Embassy Staff
- April 19, 2022 Secretary Blinken’s Meeting with Panamanian President Cortizo and Foreign Minister Mouynes
- April 19, 2022 Secretary Blinken’s Trip to Panama: Commitments to a Regional Approach to Hemispheric Migration and to Anti-Corruption Efforts
- April 20, 2022 Public Schedule – April 20, 2022
- April 19, 2022 Public Schedule – April 19, 2022