Travel to Thailand, Australia, and the Federated States of Micronesia, July 30-August 6, 2019
From July 30-August 6, Secretary Pompeo travels to Bangkok, Thailand; Sydney, Australia; and Pohnpei, the Federated States of Micronesia to deepen our long-standing alliances and vibrant bilateral relations with these countries, and reaffirm our commitment to ASEAN, which is central to our vision for the Indo-Pacific region.
On August 1, Secretary Pompeo arrived in Bangkok where he co-chaired the U.S.-Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Ministerial and the Lower Mekong Initiative (LMI) Ministerial.
The next day, August 2, Secretary Pompeo delivered remarks at the Siam Society on America’s economic engagement in the Asia-Pacific region. The Secretary then participated in the East Asia Summit (EAS) Ministerial, the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) Ministerial, and held a bilateral meeting with Thai Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai to discuss ways to further strengthen the U.S.-Thai alliance.
On August 3, the Secretary traveled from Thailand to Australia. On August 4, Secretary Pompeo, along with Secretary of Defense Esper, led the U.S. delegation to the Australia-United States Ministerial Consultations (AUSMIN). As part of his AUSMIN engagement, the Secretary participated in dialogues aimed at strengthening the Alliance, working shoulder to shoulder with Australia to meet global and transnational challenges, and safeguarding sovereignty in Pacific Island countries and Southeast Asia. He also delivered remarks on the U.S.-Australia relationship at the State Library of New South Wales. The Secretary also met with Prime Minister Morrison to discuss continued collaboration on advancing our shared set of values, principles, and overlapping interests.
On August 5, Secretary Pompeo met with Consulate General Sydney staff and family members, and then departed for the Federated States of Micronesia to reaffirm our special partnership with this Pacific Island country under our Compact of Free Association.
The Secretary’s visit to the Federated States of Micronesia marks the first-ever visit by a Secretary of State to the Federated States of Micronesia. While in Pohnpei, Secretary Pompeo met with the leaders of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau. The Secretary also met with staff and family members of U.S. Embassy Kolonia. Secretary Pompeo finished his visit by paying his respects and laying a wreath to honor the service of citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia in the U.S. Armed Forces.
Secretary Pompeo returned to the United States on August 6.
- August 5, 2019 Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo At a Wreath Laying at the Memorial to Federated States of Micronesia Veterans of U.S. Armed Forces
- August 5, 2019 Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo, Federated States of Micronesia President David W. Panuelo, Republic of the Marshall Islands President Hilda C. Heine, and Republic of Palau Vice President and Minister of Justice Raynold B. Oilouch at a Press Availability
- August 4, 2019 Joint Statement on Reaffirming U.S.-Australia Health Security Cooperation
- August 4, 2019 The U.S. and Australia: The Unbreakable Alliance
- August 4, 2019 Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs Marise Payne, and Australian Minister of Defense Linda Reynolds at a Press Availability
- August 3, 2019 Secretary Pompeo Travels to Australia To Deepen Our Historic Alliance
- August 3, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Republic of Korea Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono
- August 2, 2019 Joint Statement on the Japan-United States Mekong Power Partnership (JUMPP)
- August 2, 2019 Background Briefing to Traveling Press
- August 2, 2019 Trilateral Strategic Dialogue Joint Ministerial Statement, August 1, 2019
- August 2, 2019 The United States and ASEAN: An Enduring Partnership
- August 2, 2019 Strengthening the U.S.-Mekong Partnership
- August 2, 2019 The U.S. in Asia: Economic Engagement for Good
- August 2, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Indian Minister of External Affairs Jaishankar
- August 1, 2019 Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi
- August 1, 2019 Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo And Thai Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai At a Press Availability
- August 1, 2019 Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo Opening Remarks at U.S.-ASEAN Ministerial
- August 1, 2019 Opening Remarks at the Lower Mekong Initiative Ministerial
- July 31, 2019 Secretary Pompeo Travels to Thailand to Strengthen the U.S.-Thai Alliance and Deepen the Partnership with ASEAN
- July 30, 2019 Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo Remarks to Traveling Press En Route to Bangkok, Thailand
- August 4, 2019 Public Schedule – August 5, 2019
- August 3, 2019 Public Schedule – August 4, 2019
- Public Schedule – August 3, 2019
- August 1, 2019 Public Schedule – August 2, 2019
- July 31, 2019 Public Schedule – August 1, 2019
- July 31, 2019 Public Schedule – July 31, 2019
- July 29, 2019 Public Schedule – July 30, 2019