Travel to Ukraine, Germany, and Switzerland, January 18-21, 2022
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken traveled to Kyiv, Berlin, and Geneva from January 18-21, 2022. The trip followed extensive diplomacy with our European Allies and partners about a united approach to address the threat Russia poses to Ukraine and our joint efforts to encourage it to choose diplomacy and de-escalation in the interests of security and stability.
Secretary Blinken began his trip in Kyiv, Ukraine, where he met with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on January 19 to reinforce the United States’ commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. The Secretary also met with the employees and families of the U.S. Embassy to communicate the Department’s efforts to plan for contingencies, should Russia choose to escalate further.
On January 20, Secretary Blinken traveled to Berlin, Germany to discuss recent diplomatic engagements with Russia and joint efforts to deter further Russian aggression against Ukraine, including Allies’ and partners’ readiness to impose massive consequences and severe economic costs on Russia. The Secretary met with Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock, followed by a meeting with the Transatlantic Quad.
The Secretary then traveled to Geneva, Switzerland, on January 21 to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov to engage on areas of bilateral concern and urge Russia to take steps to de-escalate and remove its troops along Ukraine’s border.
The Secretary’s travel and consultations were part of the diplomatic efforts to de-escalate the tension caused by Russia’s military build-up and continued aggression against Ukraine.
- January 21, 2022 Secretary Blinken’s Call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba
- January 21, 2022 Secretary Blinken’s Meeting with Swiss President and Foreign Minister Cassis
- January 21, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken With George Stephanopoulos of ABC’s Good Morning America
- January 21, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken at a Press Availability
- January 21, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken And Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov Before Their Meeting
- January 20, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken With Bettina Schausten of ZDF “Heute Journal”
- January 20, 2022 The Stakes of Russian Aggression for Ukraine and Beyond
- January 20, 2022 Secretary Blinken’s Meeting with German Chancellor Scholz
- January 20, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken and German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock at a Joint Press Availability
- January 20, 2022 Secretary Blinken’s Meeting with Transatlantic Quad Foreign Ministers
- January 19, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken with Myroslava Gongadze of Voice of America’s Ukrainian Service
- January 19, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba at a Joint Press Availability
- January 19, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy Before Their Meeting
- January 19, 2022 Secretary Blinken’s Meeting with Ukrainian President Zelenskyy
- January 19, 2022 Secretary Antony J. Blinken To Mission Ukraine Staff