Virtual Travel to the United Nations, New York, March 29, 2021
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken traveled virtually to New York City on March 29 to chair a meeting of the UN Security Council, meet with UN officials, and meet with the staff of the United States Mission to the United Nations. Secretary Blinken’s UN engagements reaffirmed the United States’ commitment to working through the multilateral system to address the world’s biggest challenges. The Secretary’s visit built upon the Administration’s actions to reengage within the UN framework, including by rejoining the Paris Agreement and the World Health Organization, and by announcing the U.S. candidacy for the UN Human Rights Council for the 2022-2024 term.
As part of the U.S. Presidency of the UN Security Council, Secretary Blinken chaired a Security Council meeting on the humanitarian situation in Syria where he reinforced the United States’ support for the Syrian people, for a nationwide ceasefire, and for unhindered access that will allow humanitarian assistance to reach vulnerable communities throughout the country. Secretary Blinken also met with UN Secretary-General António Guterres to discuss pressing UN Security Council issues, the continued need for reform of the UN system, and future opportunities for U.S. engagement throughout the UN. The Secretary then met with President of the UN General Assembly Volkan Bozkir to discuss priorities for the upcoming 76th UN General Assembly, and other issues of bilateral and international concern.
Finally, Secretary Blinken met with Ambassador Thomas-Greenfield and the staff of the United States Mission to the United Nations, and highlighted the important work of the Mission team in addressing the world’s most pressing challenges including climate change, global health, economic growth, and defending democracy and human rights.
Remarks and Releases
- March 29, 2021 Secretary Blinken’s Meeting with President of the UN General Assembly Volkan Bozkir
- March 29, 2021 Secretary Blinken’s Meeting with UN Secretary-General Guterres
- March 29, 2021 Secretary Antony J. Blinken Before Meeting with President of the UN General Assembly Volkan Bozkir
- March 29, 2021 Secretary Antony J. Blinken Before Meeting with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres
- March 29, 2021 Secretary Antony J. Blinken at the UN Security Council Briefing and Consultations on the Humanitarian Situation in Syria
- March 29, 2021 Secretary Antony J. Blinken at a Virtual Town Hall Meeting with U.S. Mission to the United Nations Staff
- March 28, 2021 Public Schedule – March 29, 2021