Security engineering officers are highly skilled engineers who use electronic and mechanical security systems to protect Department of State facilities and personnel around the world from technical espionage, acts of terrorism, and and other threats.
SEOs are responsible for managing the technical and informational security programs at U.S. embassies and consulates. In the United States, these engineers provide technical support for our overseas and domestic operations.
SEOs are responsible for:
- Conducting security assessments and other inspections for U.S. overseas missions;
- Implementing computer security measures;
- Supporting dignitary travel;
- Researching and testing new technologies; and
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing a vast array of technical security equipment.