An official website of the United States Government Here's how you know

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

The 1978 Diplomatic Relations Act and the Foreign Missions Act require that all Motor Vehicles owned and operated in a U.S. Jurisdiction by a member of the Foreign Mission Community carry liability insurance coverage at all times. It is the responsibility of all Foreign Missions to provide OFM with written proof of continuous insurance coverage.

Note: The Secretary of State is authorized by the Act to impose a surcharge or fee on a Foreign Mission if an uninsured motorist of the Foreign Mission is at fault for personal injury, death or property damage and has not satisfied a court rendered judgment. The Secretary has delegated to OFM the authority to impose such surcharges or fees on the Foreign Mission employing the uninsured motorist.

Proof of Insurance

Proof of insurance is required when applying to register a Motor Vehicle. Thereafter, proof of insurance is required on the semi-annual or annual renewal of the insurance policy.

Minimum Required Liability Coverage

Members of the Foreign Mission Community applying to register a Motor Vehicle must submit proof of liability insurance in the amounts set forth below and in the following form:

1. A copy of an insurance company’s binder, valid for at least 30 days from the date of application

2. A certificate of insurance (issued by a licensed agent/broker)

3. The policy declaration page.

Note: There are no insurance requirements for trailers, which are covered by the insurance policy of the towing vehicle.

Required Content:

The proof of insurance submitted must include the following:

1. Insurance company name and address

2. The policy number

3. The name, address, and telephone number of the broker or agent

4. Description of the Motor Vehicle (including make, model, year, and vehicle identification number)

5. The effective dates of coverage

6. Liability limits and levels of coverage

7. The name and address of insured (mission/mission members)

Note: OFM must be notified by the insured of any changes, updates, or cancellations to the insurance policy.

The insurance agent/broker should be informed of the requirement to carry third-party liability automobile insurance coverage at or above the Department of State’s mandatory minimum limits.  Once registered, liability insurance must be maintained for the registered Motor Vehicle(s) at all times as set forth below.  OFM must be notified every time there is a change, update, renewal, or cancellation to the liability insurance policy.  OFM conducts reviews and audits the Foreign Mission Community to ensure compliance.  The minimum acceptable limits to liability coverage are as follows:

1. $300,000 combined single limit (CSL)

2. Split limits of $100,000 personal injury per person, $300,000 personal injury per accident, and $100,000 property damage per accident.  (Note: The required amount of property damage insurance if the Motor Vehicle is a motorcycle is $50,000).

— Split limits (for vehicles) of — Split limits (for motorcycles) of
  • $100,000 Bodily Injury/Person
  • $100,000 Bodily Injury/Person
  • $300,000 Bodily Injury/Accident
  • $300,000 Bodily Injury/Accident
  • $100,000 Property Damage
  • $50,000 Property Damage

All vehicle owners, both mission and personnel, must provide a valid and current insurance declaration page certifying third-party insurance coverage at the mandated levels listed above electronically through the Department’s eGov System.  Please see your mission or organization’s Administrative Officer for assistance and submissions via eGov. 

For questions concerning insurance policy, please email:

Upon expiration of an insurance policy the vehicle registration(s) will be suspended, and the vehicle(s) will no longer be legal to operate the vehicle. A $200 compliance fee will apply prior to renewal of the vehicle’s suspended registration.  Additionally, an updated insurance policy via eGov must be received prior to registration activation and/or renewal.  Failure to provide OFM with the required proof of valid insurance will result in the non-renewal of a vehicle’s registrations of all other vehicles owned by the mission (for mission vehicles) or mission member (for personally owned vehicles).  Vehicles that are driven with suspended or expired registrations risk being issued citations by law enforcement.

Insurance Requirements for Rented Motor Vehicles by those with Liability Insurance Coverage

Members with Insurance Coverage: Members of the Foreign Mission Community who have registered Motor Vehicle(s) with OFM may already possess liability insurance coverage that would cover rental Motor Vehicle(s) through their existing policies. Members of the Foreign Mission Community should confirm that their insurance policy covers rented Motor Vehicle(s).

Members without Insurance Coverage: Members of the Foreign Mission Community who do not have Motor Vehicle(s) registered with OFM, and do not have the mandated minimum level of liability insurance coverage must obtain such minimum coverage prior to the operation of rental Motor Vehicle(s) in any U.S. Jurisdiction. This coverage may be obtained through the rental company.

Warning: Failure to comply with these requirements could lead the Department of State to take serious action against the privilege to operate Motor Vehicle(s) in the United States. Further, in any case involving an accident or injury, the Department of State intends to request an appropriate waiver of immunity if valid claims are not satisfied.

Requests for Driver History Record (DHR)

The insurance agent or broker may ask for a copy of the driving record of each person who will operate the Motor Vehicle. An DHR contains the following information:

1. The individual’s name

2. License number and date issued

3. Class of license and restrictions, if any

4. Class(es) of Motor Vehicles authorized

5. Status of the license

6. Previous U.S. License(s), if any

7. A list of moving violations, if any, to include violations recorded against a previous license issued by any U.S. Jurisdiction

8. Any suspension or withdrawal of the driving privilege

The insurance carrier or agent may obtain a copy of an individual’s Department of State DHR from OFM. A DHR request should be emailed to and include the following information:

1. Name

2. DOB (Date of Birth)

3. DOS (Department of State) Driver’s License Number

U.S. Department of State

The Lessons of 1989: Freedom and Our Future